Sunday 28 December 2014

2014 - Manipal treated me well.

December 28, 2014

After scoring a decent 95% in my 12th standard board exams, my parents expected me to pursue a course in Engineering. I had already given them a slight hint that I wasn’t interested in anything related to science at the beginning of the academic session. I am lucky to have parents who are supportive and understanding enough to let me pursue a course which I am interested in. I didn’t appear in any of the engineering exams conducted, and instead sat for entrance exams conducted by media colleges. Out of all the colleges I got into, I chose to go to Manipal School of Communication, for several reasons which include its good reputation, and proximity to my home town. Exams and results took away the first 6 months of the year.

After this, everything happened very very fast. Time seemed to be flying at the speed of light. One month passed away in what felt like a week, and I found myself in Manipal, a small students’ town in the southern region of Karnataka. I had never stayed away from my parents for more than a week, and here I was, all of sudden, in a new place, among strangers, alone. I had reached Manipal rather early, and my classmates hadn’t started arriving yet. So, I spent the first day figuring out whether to be happy or sad; happy because of the new found freedom, and sad because I won’t be home for the next 5 months. That day, I spent time with my parents going around the place, completing admission procedures and taking in everything I saw around myself. The next two days went by meeting people, unpacking in my room, and seeing my parents off. I prayed for a good roommate, who wouldn’t make my life in Manipal a living hell, and fortunately, she turned out to be a very sweet girl. I met new people every day, but the first girl I met (from Uttarakhand), was my first friend in Manipal. I knew there were going to be a lot of ‘firsts’ there, and prepared myself mentally for everything that awaited me. I had befriended a lot of girls from my hostel by the time classes started. The first day of college turned out to be very good, and everyone I met was very welcoming and amiable. There was one particular person who had caught my immediate attention as soon as I entered my classroom. A fat, extremely talkative Bengali fellow, who was the only one screaming out loud in a class of 50 odd people. I found out he was a Bong, when I heard him talking to one of his friends in Bangla, which I happen to know a little. We got talking, and I was surprised at his uninhibited nature in a place which was as new for him as it was for everyone else. I still remember my first conversation with him, and had never expected us to be such great friends at that moment. In less than a week, I knew most of my classmates, and was having fun being among my new acquaintances.  Quite surprisingly, I missed home less, and wasn’t homesick at all. On the contrary, I found myself comforting and consoling a couple of people who didn’t like it there, and were homesick. I had a routine now, and decided to learn a new language (which, by the way, is one of my passions) when I saw posters of the language institute in my college. I started attending German classes, and loved it there, as I had always been good at learning new languages.

Except for a visit from my Uncle, and a 4-day long trip to Chennai, the months of July, August, September and October had no significant happenings. Guest lectures, numerous assignments, German classes, workshops, becoming a reporter for an online newspaper in Manipal, sightseeing, class debates and arguments, misunderstandings, lunch treats, dinner parties, becoming a part of a social services organization, joining my college’s theatre club, marketing a drama, selling tickets, meeting innumerable people, different celebrations in college that involved dancing and singing etc. made up these 4 months. Then came November. The first four days of this month were the most difficult, as I became terribly homesick, and that’s because everyone’s parents came down to visit them, and mine couldn’t. In the course of time, I had made one friend I knew would always stand by me, and would never fail to cheer me up when I’m low. She helped me when I was miserable, cried the most and was in the worst possible state.

Now came exam time, which made the homesickness disappear, and studies set in. I was alone for a week after college got over, for my German examination, which is when I recollected everything I had done in the 5 months that had gone by. These were like my flashback days there, and I learned and grew more during this period than I had during the months that had passed.
I am at home presently, vacationing. I recently met one of my teachers at the Times of India office, and when we were talking, she said something that instantly hit me as a shock. She told me to not stop writing, and that’s when I realized, I haven’t been writing as much as I did during my school days! I had drastically reduced pursuing this hobby of mine, which would probably be a part of my career in the future. This sudden and sad realization is the reason behind this write-up. I couldn’t think of anything better to write about, than the year 2014.


Change is the only constant, and I personally love change. Manipal treated me well, and I hope it will be the same in the coming years also.  Clearly, 2014 has been quite eventful, and Manipal was a very good decision. A change for the good. Now, there’s only looking forward to an amazing 2015, with all its lessons and surprises.  

8 comments:

  1. It all happened so fast. Really well written Manasi, i really like the flow of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Paddu.. It really happened fast. :*

      Delete
  2. Nalla iruku Manasi :) :p ... Keep it going

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work!!
    Showed no signs of your english teacher...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Aman. And, i'm glad it didn't, also because she taught me only for a year. :P

      Delete

Mon voyage en Europe

March 16, 2017:  Exactly two months ago, on January 16, 2017, I left the beautiful Budapest, which had been my home for almost two months ...